Filet Mignon Bites are easy to make and delicious! Don’t let the fancy cut of meat scare you, often it is on sale. Just make friends with your butcher at your local grocery store and ask him to tell you when it is on sale.
The bacon makes this beyond DELICIOUS!
Make the sauce first, or at least get it going. Having help will make the entire process super fast.
- ½ Onion finely diced
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 sticks Butter
- 1 tsp Tarragon
- 1 tsp Chervil
- 3 tbsp White Wine
- 3 lb Beef Tenderloin
- 1 lb Bacon
- Finely chop the onion so that it doesn’t overpower the sauce.
- Cook the chopped onion for 1 minute in the microwave to soften it.
- Place the egg yolks in a saucepan and add the lemon juice and stir until the mixture is blended.
- Add the first stick of butter sliced into pats and cook over very low heat stirring constantly until melted in.
- Then add the next stick in the same fashion continuing to stir constantly.
- This process takes awhile because we want the egg butter mixture to cook together.
- If the heat is too high or you don’t stir enough, the eggs will begin to cook on their own and the sauce will “break”. You’ll know if/when this happens because you’ll see lumps or curdles forming in your sauce.
- If all goes according to plan, your sauce will begin to thicken and reach the point where it begins to look like a thin pudding. You’ll see the line the spoon left after you drag it across the bottom.
- Take the sauce off the heat, add the onions, tarragon and chervil. and mix well.
- Add the wine (if you don’t have wine, you can substitute 2 tsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp water) and blend well.
- Cut the tenderloin into 1″ cubes.
- Take the bacon slices and cut each piece in thirds.
- Wrap each filet bite in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Heat a heavy skillet on high and sear each bite on all sides.
- Transfer seared pieces to broiler pan and place in 350 oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve filet bites with bernaise sauce.