Well, a Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich was new to me this weekend. My teenager came home talking about it, and by the next day had made some for the little kids. I guess it is all the rage?
Basically, you take Mac & Cheese and wait for it… wait for it… yep, you put it on some bread and grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich!
- 4 slices Sourdough (or other dense bread)
- 1½ cups leftover Macaroni & Cheese
- 8 slices American or Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
- In a small nonstick skillet place heat ¾ cup of mac & cheese over medium heat.
- Once warm (about 3-4 minutes), shape mac & cheese into a pile about the size of the bread and top with 2 slices of cheese.
- Turn off heat.
- Butter 2 slices of bread.
- Place bread butter side down in another skillet over medium heat.
- Top one of the bread slices with 2 slices cheese.
- Use spatula to lift corner and check doneness.
- When lightly browned turn off heat. Use spatula to transfer mac & cheese rectangle onto cheese covered bread in the skillet.
- Cover with the other bread slice, toasted side up. Gently press together with spatula and transfer to a plate.
- Serve immediately.